TO ALL MY ESL STUDENTS and TODAY, to YOU, someone NEW! !

You are all invited to join in and be pro-active! This blog also belongs to you.

Here are some of the ways you can participate:

* COMMENT (even if you make mistakes) C'est pas grave!
You will get better and better! You cannot GO BACK!
PLEASE leave a COMMENT (click on comment at the bottom of post and follow instructions)

* SHARE INFORMATION with your classmates, they will surely appreciate your findings:
New ESL sites, stories, anecdotes, jokes, games ...
* WRITE what's on your mind! How you feel about your learning process.
You are not alone! Group 'therapy'!!!

HAVE a dose of FUN!!!
* LET me KNOW that you are there to encourage... ME TOO (inside joke)!

LISTEN to this INTRODUCTION VIDEO:

NOTE TO THE READER:
- CLICK on Ctrl and +++ to enlarge TEXT
- anything UNDERLINED ia a link to click on



Tuesday, March 23, 2010

WORDS TO CELEBRATE !!! IT's my BirthDay ...


On mountain climbers …

“They take pictures of mountain climbers at the top.
They are ecstatic, smiling, and triumphant.
They never take pictures of mountain climbers along the way.
We push ourselves because we have to.
The relentless climb to the next level,
nobody takes pictures of that;
nobody wants to remember.
We want to remember the view
from the top, at the edge of the world.
It keeps us climbing and
it’s worth the pain … that’s the crazy part!
It’s worth anything!”
-
 - Quote from Grey’s Anatomy,
       PUSH episode, March 11-2010.


These words struck me as both universal and personal. They apply to our trials and errors; our accomplishments or failures. With my birthday coming up I tend to have a look at the year that has just gone by or make an assessment of the past years. I did so last year when I resumed in so many words, Facebook obliging, my life up to then. This is what I wrote:

Suzanne Lord 

63 !!! I cannot believe it ... it feels just like yesterday that I became a teacher, got married, got a divorce, went to Copper Cayon in Mexixo with Sylvie and Maxime, up a volcano in Guatemala, studied Spanish in Cuba, fell in love, lived in New-Zealand, grieved my loss for many years, retired from teaching, went to Italy, sold my home, graduated as a psychotherapist and started teaching again.

 

As the years add on, I’ve been there at the top of the mountain quite a few times. I’ve chosen my mountains and created my own mountain climbing style! Just as I remember the ones where I didn’t get to the top. The ones when I got stuck half way or very close to the top. And ended up having to go back down … But that has never stopped me! I’m still moving forward even though there are places where I am still stuck, and places where I’m only half the way. What I remember and keep on remembering are the steps and the achievements and lessons on my path and many a time, off the beaten track!

Some days I am really hard on myself; some days come and go without a thought; some days are Zen-like and just float by calmly and peacefully; some days are a real big smile; some days are a chocker, like this week when I found out that I have high blood-pressure; some days are gifts for my self-esteem and from friends; some days I give to others; some days, nothing eventful happens! And some days are just the best in the world!

So, now approaching 64, I have a new mountain to climb! I have to buy new equipment; get prepared rationally and emotionally and physically for this climb; find some climbing experts, partners, and friends to help me along the way! I am aware that it will take more time which is okay because I now wish to take the time and take a good look at the path I have chosen. This time it’s all about looking  around to appreciate the scenery and also looking ahead because this time around, the effort of getting there is a more experienced one, a less painful one because I will be using what I have gained in skill, expertise, know-how and knowledge. But and there is a but, I am still open to learning still more and more, and that’s where I will never ever reach the end!

AND IT’S MY BIRTHDAY again!
And it will be again and again.
My celebrations will go on and on
For many years to come!!!

SUZANNE 
Still two weeks to go at 63!
Saturday, March 13, 2010
It’s 11:13.
And just for another moment of FUN

No comments: