TO ALL MY ESL STUDENTS and TODAY, to YOU, someone NEW! !

You are all invited to join in and be pro-active! This blog also belongs to you.

Here are some of the ways you can participate:

* COMMENT (even if you make mistakes) C'est pas grave!
You will get better and better! You cannot GO BACK!
PLEASE leave a COMMENT (click on comment at the bottom of post and follow instructions)

* SHARE INFORMATION with your classmates, they will surely appreciate your findings:
New ESL sites, stories, anecdotes, jokes, games ...
* WRITE what's on your mind! How you feel about your learning process.
You are not alone! Group 'therapy'!!!

HAVE a dose of FUN!!!
* LET me KNOW that you are there to encourage... ME TOO (inside joke)!

LISTEN to this INTRODUCTION VIDEO:

NOTE TO THE READER:
- CLICK on Ctrl and +++ to enlarge TEXT
- anything UNDERLINED ia a link to click on



Sunday, March 27, 2011

WHY BIRTHDAYS ARE AWESOME!


WHY BIRTHDAYS ARE AWESOME!


March 27, 2011

 and IT’S MY BIRTHDAY !!!

I love birthdays and I always have!

The first birhtday parties I had, were always special even though I was born on my mother’s birth day as well. My mom and grandmother always had a cake waiting for me with all the candles and I always shared it with my cousins and family, friends and neighbours. I learnt at a very young age that birthdays are a special and unique event that belongs to you only among other celebrations  during the year.

Later on, in the 60’s, I had parties in the unfinished basement of our then home. I remember organising a ‘beatnick’ party with my friend, Francine and also inviting this very handsome guy. He didn’t know why he had been invited for he was the older brother of a classmate. But I got to dance with him on my birthday.
I even remember a few years later organising another party which ended up being  my own SURPRISE birthday party! That's what I call a REAL surprise!!!

And I don’t just love my own birthday, I love other people’s too.  I can’t seem to understand why some people loathe birthdays;  I think they’re awesome and fun!  
Here are some of the reasons why I love birthdays. Of course it’s still about the cake and the gifts and the ones you love singing the song but it’s also about:

- A birthday celebration means that you are celebrating the end of a year and the beginning of another that has nothing to do with the calendar! You are celebrating LIFE, the one you were born into and the one you live everyday!! You celebrate the very fact that you somehow made it from being non-existent … to existing.  You are a living, breathing, walking, talking human being. Not only were you born – but the very fact that you are celebrating a birthday indicates that you’ve managed to stick around.  Having a birthday means that you are alive.  you get to live – and do all the wonderful things that come along with it.

- You also get to reflect on your year.  Celebrating a birthday inevitably brings about memories and reflections of things that have happened since the last time you celebrated.  What awesome things happened to you in the last 12 months. Maybe you gained a family member, maybe you got a new job, picked up cooking or painting, bought a house, learned a foreign language, overcame a long withstanding fear, saw the great wall of China.   Perhaps by your next one, you’ll have started a new project, have a new home or best friend?  Birthdays allow us to reflect and 
feel thankful for those things we have done since the one prior.

- Birthdays also help you set goals. Thinking about what you want to do in life is a little daunting, a little too broad; too much time and too much to do. But birthdays are a natural one-year timetable for our goals. I really prefer March 27th to January 1st. I,personally, feel that my birthday is the best time to decide what specific things I want to accomplish between this one – and the next.

- And lastly, you can get away with a lot on your birthday ;)

So this year, what will be new for me?
Welllllll, I’m going to adopt a cat 
and Lucien, that’s his name, 
will become my new friend!!! 
And he gets to have his birthday 
on the same day as mine!! 
I wonder which one of the two of us 
will be the happier this coming year …



SUZANNE 




No comments: