TO ALL MY ESL STUDENTS and TODAY, to YOU, someone NEW! !

You are all invited to join in and be pro-active! This blog also belongs to you.

Here are some of the ways you can participate:

* COMMENT (even if you make mistakes) C'est pas grave!
You will get better and better! You cannot GO BACK!
PLEASE leave a COMMENT (click on comment at the bottom of post and follow instructions)

* SHARE INFORMATION with your classmates, they will surely appreciate your findings:
New ESL sites, stories, anecdotes, jokes, games ...
* WRITE what's on your mind! How you feel about your learning process.
You are not alone! Group 'therapy'!!!

HAVE a dose of FUN!!!
* LET me KNOW that you are there to encourage... ME TOO (inside joke)!

LISTEN to this INTRODUCTION VIDEO:

NOTE TO THE READER:
- CLICK on Ctrl and +++ to enlarge TEXT
- anything UNDERLINED ia a link to click on



Monday, October 3, 2011

For all you new students! WHY ... words for fun?


WHY is this blog called  WORDS for FUN?

I chose this name because it represents an opportunity for me to communicate with students of ESL. WORDS also used to build up, increase, expand and develop your vocabulary, so as to give you the tools for a richer choice of words when expressing yourself in English. As a result, you will have a more interesting conversation and gain a clearer understanding of English speakers.

Now for FUN, why use the word ‘fun’? Because I love writing and writing for me is a pleasurable and creative activity. I really enjoy writing and expressing opinions and ideas. It also gives me the possibility to be spontaneous with ‘on the spur of the moment’ reactions or emotions. I also love humour and the English language is a great source of fun expressions. There are so many possibilities on word-play and puns as well.

So to sum up, there is a little bit in it for me and a little bit in it for you. Those were my intentions and reasons for using WORDS and FUN to title my blog.

I hope that you also have a pleasurable experience reading and learning as I do in writing and searching my thesaurus to expand my own use of the English language. ENJOY!!!

On that note, here’s the joke that I told in class which relates to learning, in our case, English as a second (or third) language!

·        NOTE  
There is a word-play (a play on words) right at the beginning of the joke. Are you up for a challenge? Then find it!


A family of mice, the “Mices”, were happily taking a walk on a wonderful sunny Sunday afternoon  in the neighbourhood park. When all of a sudden, a huge cat, a very very big Maine-Coon, jumped out of the bushes and surprised the little group.
Father-mouse, Jerry, jumped right in front of the cat and said very loudly:
  « Bow-Wow! … Ruff! Ruff!
    Grrr … ! Bow-Wow!! …
    Grrrr! Ruff!! »
Tom, the cat, scared and frightened by these words ran away.
"What just happened, Dad?" asked Junior Mouse.
"Well, son, this is exactly what I mean when I say
 how important it is to learn a second language.”

 It really comes in handy and just when you need it!
J I guess you know why I chose this particular one.
   Thanks to Louise Picard for sharing it with us.

 * http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maine_Coon for INFO on Maine-Coon
 * For a look, click on Google IMAGES and enter Maine-Coon

2 comments:

Huguette.pronovost @videotron.ca said...

I agree with father-mouse Jerry because I arrive from Europe and I would have needed three languages for the second part of my trip.

I see that you came back at work.

Good luck with your new students.

Huguette

Suzanne said...

Hi! Huguette,

Grrreat to hear from you once again.
Lucky you on a trip to Europe. I hope you thouroughly enjoyed it!

Yes! I'm back at work and really into it!
I have five groups all together.
And today just come back from my last days at the cottage. Snifff!
Sniff!

We should have lunch sometime, on a Wednesday is the best time for me and you can tell me what you have been up to!

Regards,

Suzanne