TO ALL MY ESL STUDENTS and TODAY, to YOU, someone NEW! !

You are all invited to join in and be pro-active! This blog also belongs to you.

Here are some of the ways you can participate:

* COMMENT (even if you make mistakes) C'est pas grave!
You will get better and better! You cannot GO BACK!
PLEASE leave a COMMENT (click on comment at the bottom of post and follow instructions)

* SHARE INFORMATION with your classmates, they will surely appreciate your findings:
New ESL sites, stories, anecdotes, jokes, games ...
* WRITE what's on your mind! How you feel about your learning process.
You are not alone! Group 'therapy'!!!

HAVE a dose of FUN!!!
* LET me KNOW that you are there to encourage... ME TOO (inside joke)!

LISTEN to this INTRODUCTION VIDEO:

NOTE TO THE READER:
- CLICK on Ctrl and +++ to enlarge TEXT
- anything UNDERLINED ia a link to click on



Sunday, October 23, 2011

The TORTOISE and THE HARE

This week I sent some of you this email. I sent it after having a great class and wanting to share with you a very positive outlook!
Here is the content for those you didn't get this message:

« I really enjoyed hearing your spontaneous comments
near the end of our last class, especially hearing:
« Oh! Now, I understand! »
« Ah! Je viens de comprendre! »
or « OK! Je vois.»

In my experience as a teacher,
it is the best sentence in the world!
I feel good that I can help you learn
and hopeful for your success!
It also confirms my belief in students
and their capacity in learning English.
So ... if ever you feel discouraged,
think of what I just wrote
and KEEP UP your good work. Keep going!  
I believe in you even when you find
it difficult to believe in yourself.
Don't forget that
learning a language is a huge challenge
and that every little bit counts.
Every minute that you invest counts.
In the end (which there won't be), well ... 
all that counts are your personal goals
and how you achieved them.
Sometimes you are too hard on yourselves!
So my advice would be to set goals
that are realistic and attainable!
                       Personalize your learning.
Chose and use
whatever tools suggested best suit YOU
and do not forget to go at your own pace or rhythm.»



REMEMBER the story of
The Tortoise and the Hare

This Aesop fable has been interpreted 
in a variety of ways over the centuries.

My interpretation … you  ask?



Well, the way I see it, it’s all about never stopping, even if you are advancing slowly (that’s when you compare yourself to others… not too good a thing) and at your own pace. You will eventually get there, that is, where YOU want to be.

It’s all about determination
not necessarily about winning the race!
It’s about perseverance!

OR, you could say that if you do something too fast, you don’t necessarily do it well! Again, speed is not always the winner!
There is also what is called THE LAW of THE HANDICAP.
Personally and from what I have see over these years of teaching, you have a better chance at starting anew and not carrying with you mistakes that were never corrected. 
Yay! For all you beginners.

Click on the title above for a SURPRISE !!!
For the complete story:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5TtWX4yz6I

"Never think about giving up on a goal because even when walking slowly,
you can go so far."



THE END!
SUZANNE, your cheerleader 



2 comments:

Huguette.pronovost @videotron.ca said...

Hi Suzanne

It's me again. You are right when you say "speed is not always the winner". I realised, with time, that if I want to talk English I must speak slowlier.I must take time to organize my thought. If I arrive to choose the verb to begin my sentence, writing become very easy and talking English is possible but we have to work very hard all the days.

I loved the video "The tortoise and the hare"

Suzanne said...

Huguette,
Thanks for your feedback and sharing your personal experience.
With your permission I'll create a link so that my students can read what you have to say about learning.
Let me know if it's OK with you.
Thanks again,
Suzanne