TO ALL MY ESL STUDENTS and TODAY, to YOU, someone NEW! !

You are all invited to join in and be pro-active! This blog also belongs to you.

Here are some of the ways you can participate:

* COMMENT (even if you make mistakes) C'est pas grave!
You will get better and better! You cannot GO BACK!
PLEASE leave a COMMENT (click on comment at the bottom of post and follow instructions)

* SHARE INFORMATION with your classmates, they will surely appreciate your findings:
New ESL sites, stories, anecdotes, jokes, games ...
* WRITE what's on your mind! How you feel about your learning process.
You are not alone! Group 'therapy'!!!

HAVE a dose of FUN!!!
* LET me KNOW that you are there to encourage... ME TOO (inside joke)!

LISTEN to this INTRODUCTION VIDEO:

NOTE TO THE READER:
- CLICK on Ctrl and +++ to enlarge TEXT
- anything UNDERLINED ia a link to click on



Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Autumn and INDIAN SUMMER! Analogy to our lives!

Bob Schieffer (pronounced /ˈʃiːfər/

  Falls for Autumn (Wordplay).

Celebrating New Season, 

Says the Last Part of Anything 

Can Be as Beautiful as the Beginning 

Schieffer is an American jour


Today I'm using someone else's WORDS. 
Bob Schieffer is a very well respected journalist.
I read the following posting on his blog and 
wanted to share it with you because it represents the part of our lives 
that we, most of us reading this, are experiencing right now.
We are in the AUTUMN of our lives! 
Although I would much prefer to say 
the INDIAN SUMMER of our lives. 
I like this analogy much better!!! ... 
much, much better!

So here is what he had to say:  
 "I would guess that more poems have been written about spring than any other time of the year. And it's not surprising; spring is a time of beginnings, of expectations and hope. 


But yesterday I noticed the leaves on my favorite maple tree were beginning to turn. They are yellow now - soon they'll be red. 
I've been watching that tree put on its fall show for many a year now. 
Every year seems better than the one before. 


I love spring, but I've come to like the fall even more, maybe because as we grow older we come to understand that the last part of anything can be as beautiful as the beginning, because only then can we fully appreciate what has gone before. 

Fall brings its special delights - the colors, the crispness in the air, Halloween and Election Day - even though it is getting harder and harder to tell which is which - they are still both worth doing.  I love fall. So far, this has been a really good one!"

And what a great Indian Summer Day were are having TODAY!
 A COINCIDENCE ??!!
See you outside!

Suzanne 

2 comments:

Huguette said...

Hi Suzanne,

I found that Indian Summer is called of another name in certain countries. For example in central Europe, the name is old wives' Summer while in Germany it’s Summer of immigrant ancestors and in Sweden, it’s summer of all Saints. Your text allowed me to develop my knowledge.

Thank you

Suzanne said...

Yes! Huguette,

I didn't know either that they had similar festivities or names for this same period in Fall.

But I like ours more because it is closer to our idea of warmer weather in autumn giving us the opportunity to enjoy the last warm weather. The 'Indians' really didn't need a calender being so close to nature.
But interesting anyhow!
Have a great weekend!

Suzanne