TO ALL MY ESL STUDENTS and TODAY, to YOU, someone NEW! !

You are all invited to join in and be pro-active! This blog also belongs to you.

Here are some of the ways you can participate:

* COMMENT (even if you make mistakes) C'est pas grave!
You will get better and better! You cannot GO BACK!
PLEASE leave a COMMENT (click on comment at the bottom of post and follow instructions)

* SHARE INFORMATION with your classmates, they will surely appreciate your findings:
New ESL sites, stories, anecdotes, jokes, games ...
* WRITE what's on your mind! How you feel about your learning process.
You are not alone! Group 'therapy'!!!

HAVE a dose of FUN!!!
* LET me KNOW that you are there to encourage... ME TOO (inside joke)!

LISTEN to this INTRODUCTION VIDEO:

NOTE TO THE READER:
- CLICK on Ctrl and +++ to enlarge TEXT
- anything UNDERLINED ia a link to click on



Sunday, October 17, 2010

LET'S TALK ABOUT .... AUTUMN!!!


When I say the word AUTUMN  ...
what is the first word that comes to mind ?

season, fall
trees, leaves, colours
afternoon, Indian Summer
festivals, harvest
outdoor markets
apples and apple pie
pumpkins and Hallow’een
change, weather, cool, rain
TEMPO’s (just kidding!)

Many words come to mind and many images do also. 
This is what is called ASSOCIATION!
Put all these words together and you get 
A STORY ABOUT AUTUMN.

Sounds like the title of a movie, doesn’t it? Actually it is in fact the reminder that in English, Autumn is a girl’s name, just like Winter is, and Summer and Spring as well. There are  April’s, May’s and June’s too.

But let’s concentrate on the word AUTUMN which is the name of a season, one of the four temperate seasons. Autumn marks the transition from summer into winter, from hot to cold, weather that is! The synonym being FALL. Which of course comes from LA CHUTE DES FEUILLES: falling autumn leaves and we get, fall foliage and fall colours. These are all expressions used while talking about autumn.

You have song lyrics and poems that celebrate this colourful season. There are novels and short stories too. You also have visual art forms, paintings and photographs and videos that show many of our fall colours. These are the ones used to best describe them: red, yellow, orange, gold and crimson, rusts and browns, and all the different hues of each. The most spectacular presented by the sugar maple tree!


You also have the sounds of fall: the Canada geese flying over, the rustling of leaves on the ground, the sound of the cool wind in the trees, the little squirrels running around gathering their nuts for the winter. And what about the smell of woodsy dying leavesand the cool fresh air hitting your nostrils. All your senses are sollicited!!!

So, no wonder that autumn is so much 
a part of our lives here in Québec …
YOU CANNOT MISS IT!!!!
You can SEE it, SMELL it and HEAR it!
You can also EAT some of it
But mostly be TOUCHED by all of it!

I WISH YOU ALL A GREAT FALL
and
A HAPPY AUTUMN!




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Suzanne,
I almost smell the odor of leaves when I was reading your message.

I just come back from a walk and now I'm doing my English homework.
Really, that's the reason you find me in front of my computer at this hour on Sunday

This morning I cooked a really good Porc Osso Bucco and I will serve it with pasta and steamed sparagus. Its cold outside and I like to cook.
Have a nice Sunday evening.
See you thursday.

Suzanne said...

Dear ANONYMOUS!!!

Who are you?
Where are you? In front of your PC doing English homework! Well, what an amazing student you are!

So you COULD almost smell the leaves, what a great imagination you have!

WOW! And a great cook too!
What a great menu for your evening meal ... I too can almost smell your great cooking. Love Osso Bucco and pasta and asparagus!

Is there a place for me... I can bring dessert!

Have a great evening!
Thanks for commenting1

Suzanne

Huguette said...

Good evening Suzanne, I see that you worked very hard.

Yesterday, for me, it was the time to make green ketchup, apple pies and applesauce. In my home, it smelt good. It was as in the past at the time where I went visit my grandmother. Each time, she made many pies and I loved especially her vinegar pie. Your text recalls me good souvenirs.

P.S. I clic on your link but it don't operate.

Have a nice day

Suzanne said...

Huguette,
It was like being in the past, when you were at your grandmother's. WOW!!
So everytime you went she had made pies and your favorite was the vinegar. That's the second time that I've heard about vinegar pies. I guess it is a very "québécois" pie!!

I'm happy that my text BROUGHT BACK GREAT MEMORIES!

Now ... you clicked on the link and it didn't work ... I wonder why. I'll try it my self.

Bye and thanks for your feedback!
Suzanne

Unknown said...

I Suzanne ,
Yesterday I listen a song the title is ( I just called to say I love you ) the singer is stevie wonder .. I'm sure you know this song but the subject is the temperature of automn and I think it's interesting for us to learn a season in this way for laugh...have a nice day

Suzanne said...

Pauline,

I agree with you that using song lyrics is a fun way of learning English.
I'm happy that you caught the words referring to the seasons and especially fall.
Thanks for your comment.

Suzanne